Monday, October 11, 2010

Crater Lake, OR

Desperate Man Clings to California Oregon Summer.

Okay, okay, I've been doing some serious bragging about California lately (because it's the balls!). But, it looks like it's now time for me to suck it up and give some props to Oregon. I'm gonna come right out and say that Crater Lake is incredible. In the true sense of the word. It's actually difficult to believe that it's real. I was there in the end of September this year and I was high off its freaky electric blue water for a week.

Crater Lake and me, if you look hard

Crater Lake is the cleanest body of water on Earth and the deepest lake in America at 1,949 feet deep (the only one deeper than Tahoe). It has two islands: Wizard and Phantom Ship. Phantom Ship is an eerie island formed from an acient volcano that rose up before the big Mazama volcano collapsed and formed Crater Lake. Another amazing feature of the park is its endless forests. I've spent a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest and I've never seen such huge swaths of untouched forest.

Hell, there are even these crazy 100 foot high pumice pinnicles that formed when hot gases from fumaroles cemented the pumice and ash together before a river erroded away the remaining loose pumice and left the pinnincles standing there. The craziest part is that the pinnicles are hollow. "Boring, I know, but it's part of my life." Check the pic below.

Learn some stuff about Crater Lake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_Lake

I spent a full day in the park, cricumnavigating the lake and cliff jumping into it. I'm not a dirty hippy, but I've got to admit that that water is special and it had me feeling ubelievably alive. I'm higly confident that you could bottle Crater Lake's waters and sell it at Phish concerts as a magical elixir for huge profit.

Phantom ship Island

Another view

Looking North

The Pinnicles of Crater Lake NP

Yet another view

DO NOT FEED THE CHIPMUNKS!!! But you almost have to! These guys were so aggressive they'd actually jump into your lap and rip food outta your hands. They pissed me off, but I also kinda loved 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment